Sunday, August 24, 2008

Scope creep

So we have completed one home project. Yes just one. I know I’d said we were tackling two this weekend, but as is often the case with home repair projects, we encountered a little bit of scope creep. Since I used to be a project manager, I talk like that a lot.

We knew we needed to replace parts of two pieces of dry wall in the closet because they’d been water-damaged. But once Kent pulled out the existing storage system, we realized that another piece had been damaged. Or course we found that out after we’d already made our Home Depot run and given them over $300.

Right then I realized painting the bathroom was just not going to happen. So that element got de-scoped. And Kent went to Home Depot again for the extra green board.

In addition to replacing the dry wall (we used green board because that space will always face moisture challenges—oh heck who am I kidding, it’s DAMP under those stairs), we also had to paint the entire thing and clean off the floor tiles. Because it’s humid in the closet (see also damp basements), the mudding compound wasn’t dry until this morning. That’s when we slapped paint on the walls. Once it was dry enough, Kent was able to start installing the new wire storage system. Seriously if you know you have moisture issues in a closet, why would you put in particle board? That’s nothing but a giant sponge just waiting to soak up every water molecule and grow mold.

Wally found the rolled-up egg crate mattress we used to use on our bed. Here you can see his butt, which sort of reminds me of the opening scene in Wizard of Oz when Dorothy’s house lands on the witch.



And here’s the rest of him.

1 comment:

Ben Shear said...

I must say, I just got around to looking at your place on Google Earth. Very cool! It shows your place 3-D. The neighborhood looks great and it's so close to downtown. I can't wait to come visit some time.