Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Liberation

I've never cared for Pergo flooring, I've always preferred the real thing. Wood just looks better, it's got depth to it and I also like the creaking sounds you get with older wood floors. Because our apartment is a garden (aka basement) apartment, wood flooring isn't an option because you'd have to put the wood on sub-grade flooring. In this case, that's concrete. So the previous owners installed Pergo.

Now I will say I really don't care for the particular color/pattern they installed and also their installer put the flooring in oddly. The "grain" runs across the short side of the room, and all the seams line up instead of being staggered. I think staggering would minimize the seams. So we will end up replacing it although that project is pretty far down the list at the moment. But oh my goodness this stuff is easy to care for. When a cat horked up something the other day, we just grabbed paper towel and a spray bottle of Windex and hey presto! It was gone.

The sound the kitties make thundering on the floor is pretty funny too. I don't really know how to describe it, except to say it's sort of like tile but a little hollow. Last night after I'd headed to bed, I could hear kitties racing up and down the hall. They can't get traction, and at one point I know at least one of them wiped out and hit a wall. I couldn't help it, I was evil and I laughed.

No comments: