Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Another reason to run

As my friends and family know (because I’m sure I talk about it way too much) I work out six days a week. I didn’t always, but a few years ago when my health took a turn for the worse and I had another three major abdominal surgeries, I realized I needed to do something about my lack of fitness.

Two and a half years ago, I started with Pilates, which kicked my butt. Pilates is especially good for developing your core or abdominal muscles, something I seriously lacked. Since my gym didn’t offer very many Pilates classes, I started taking yoga too.

Last year I was on the road 100% for the first six months of the year. I packed my yoga mat and also added in an aerobic workout so I didn’t get bored. In early July, I started running—well really I trotted. The nice thing about having done all the strength exercises I’d been doing is that I had muscles and I’d slimmed down so I didn’t have to haul as much around when I ran.

This morning I ran across an article on WebMD that touted the benefits of running as we age. Take a look, I think you’ll find it interesting. While it's great running offers these additional benefits, that's not why I run. I do the yoga, Pilates and weights to stay fit and thin. I run to stay sane.

No comments: